Monday, September 12, 2011

When God Meets Cancer


Hey everybody! This is Josh..in case no one recognized me with out my hair!


Anyway, I thought since I haven't done a blog in a while I would post one and give everyone a little more info about what has been going on in my life and how I have experienced God in so many new ways since our journey began.


On July 18th I went to see Dr. Turner to find out why I was pale and tired and became exhausted by just walking across our kitchen. After a few not very nice needle pricks they said I had very low blood counts and needed to go to the ER at BSA for my very first BM...now it isn't the kind of BM that you are thinking of but instead means Bone Marrow Biopsy.


Several days later they had the diagnosis. AML. Acute Myeloid Leukemia had taken over 80% of my blood cells. Shortly thereafter I was transferred to my new prison, MD Anderson in Houston. Since then I have experienced many things, from needle pricks, lost hours of sleep (which I made up for in the afternoon) and the last thing I experienced was God. I wish it were the first thing I experienced but the important thing is that I got know Him better.


I began reading my Bible everyday, I stopped listening to music that wasn't honoring. I truly believe I could not do this without His help. Over the past month, weeks, and days I have had some very good discussions with my parents about how to honor God with everything I do. And at this critical of a stage, I can't even imagine being out of His will.


I know He has a plan for everything and that His timing is impeccable. I have to say I have very much enjoyed following Him. It is rewarding to know that in a time of crisis I have been given the opportunity to witness to others both at the hospital and through this blog. We had a fairly easy round of chemotherapy this time, though no stay in the hospital is means to jump for joy.


Ever since I have begun to follow God more closely I have learned the importance of Scripture and just how powerful it can be.
In Psalms 1 it says;


1 Blessed is the one 
   who does not walk in step with the wicked 
or stand in the way that sinners take 
   or sit in the company of mockers, 
2 but whose delight is in the law of the LORD, 
   and who meditates on his law day and night. 
3 That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, 
   which yields its fruit in season 
and whose leaf does not wither— 
   whatever they do prospers.



We have learned so many valuable things these last few months. And even though there are tough days and good days, I'm grateful I have great parents and a great God watching over me.


Proverbs 3: 5-6.


Thank you all for your prayers,  kindness and...GREAT FOOD!
Special thanks to everyone who has brought us, as I like to say, scrum-diddly-umptious food! Ms. Cecelia your cooking is Food Network Worthy! Move out of the way Gordon Ramsay!


Ms. Selene, I've said it before and I'll say it again....YUMMMMMMY! Living next to a great neighbor such as yourself has been a blessing. P.S. Mom and Dad reallllyyyyyyy enjoyed the cheesecake. And I mean.....realllllyyyyyy liked the cheesecake!


And to all others who have poured love and affection into us through your prayers and cards and food, I say thank you.


God bless!


Josh.

4 comments:

  1. so glad you all made it home safely. you look good with no hair! our son-in-law shaves his head. how's school going?
    we continue to pray--God does things in ways that would never occur to us.
    Love
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh, I have to say (1) I really admire your courage in showing off your head, and (2) your head is a perfect sphere - impressive.

    It is absolutely beautiful to hear how God is working through this really difficult circumstance.

    Have so much fun at home, and I'll see you for another (hopefully for you - short) stay in Htown.

    LG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Handsome, handsome, Josh!
    Here's a hug all the way from Illinois.
    Love, Aunt Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so blessed to know you. I know this isn't an easy journey but seeing God work though you is amazing. I know HE has bigger plans for you than we can even imagine. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete