Sunday, July 24, 2011

Houston Here We Come

Hello again everyone! This is Josh! I thought I'd give you an update on what's going on with me today!

For a few days we had been expecting to move to the MD Anderson Institution for my AML, which I still can't pronounce, and today that happened! I left BSA in Amarillo at about 12:30 ish or so and was brought down to an ambulance downstairs. The ambulance was very cool but sadly they did not turn on the emergency lights. The EMT's were wonderful and soon we reached the airport.


Shortly afterwards they pulled me out on the gurney and wheeled me over to this very sleek, white jet. The plane is operated by RICO Aviation and the pilot was Richard Coon (I guess his uncle had something to do with Coon Memorial Hospital). It is funny because originally I was supposed to fly in a propeller aircraft but I guess a few days ago Amarillo had really bad wind and it blew the hangar doors inwards, smashing the nose of the propeller plane and allowing me to fly in the jet.

So anyway I boarded the jet with dad, who got a very nice leather seat while I was stuck on a gurney that felt more like a small ironing board, and soon we were in the air. It was such a fun experience because I was able to turn and look through the cockpit as we soared up into the clouds! I snapped a pic with my cell phone of the plane but unfortunately I can't get it to post but that's OK.

The flight took about an hour and a half so it wasn't as bad as I thought so it was really a very nice flight! Houston is very green but extremely hot! And humid! When I stepped out of the plane there were two more EMT's, (also extremely nice and they reminded me of Laurel and Hardy) waiting to take me to MD.

So finally I am here in my hospital room complete with a PS3 and Nintendo Wii along with a murphy bed for dad! The Nurses came in and told me everything they were planning on doing including another Bone Marrow Biopsy and a Spine Tap and then gave me a vitals exam. My Nurse is a wonderful woman named Jennifer who actually grew up in the Philippines about 2 hours from where my dad spent some time as a missionary son! She is so sweet and has the coolest accent! She grew up in a town called Caviti and even spoke some Filipino with dad!

Anyway I could continue using your prayers. Today was a harder day. Thank you so much for all of your prayers and good wishes!
Love you all!
Josh

P.S That sock monkey now has a name! He is named Shwinky! I will be posting some photos hopefully tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Josh,

    Ginny and I have been catching up on your blogs. We hope that the the tests that they are doing are not terribly painful. We are praying for you and your family. At the church committee/business meeting, the most important item on the agenda was that you guys are taken care of and that your needs are being met during this process. We are glad to see that you are maintaining your sense of humor. "Schwinky" is a cool dude. You guys take care of each other.

    God bless you guys!
    Ty and Ginny

    ReplyDelete