Saturday, July 30, 2011

What Day Is It

The days seem to run into each other when each day seems the same as the one before. The little variances like the color of the chemo bags help a little, but every morning I have to think about it to figure out what day of the week it is.

Josh is resting peacefully this morning so we have had the chance to get out and walk a little. He continues to tolerate the chemo well. It does seem a little quieter in the hospital, there is much less traffic, which may have to do with it being a teaching hospital. But even with the quiet, we feel imprisoned here against our will. We would rather be home with our friends and church family, but we are kept here by the need to se our son healed.

This morning in my devotions I read a statement that challenged me. It was a quote from Charles Spurgeon. My initial response was that I would rather reject what he said because the statement was too hard to accept.

I'll quote it for you and let you decide what you would do with it.

Spurgeon wrote, "In our affliction, God is doing nothing to us which we should not wish for ourselves if we were as wise and loving as God is."

I am not implying that God has cause this to happen to our family, but I am confident that in His mercy and love, He has allowed us to walk through this valley in the shadow of death.

The only way that I can begin to move in that direction is when I read Philippians 1:12, where Paul who is writing from prison states, "And I want you to know, my dear brothers and sisters, that everything that has happened to me here has helped to spread the Good News."

When you look at what you are going through today, can you say that it has helped to spread the Good News?



2 comments:

  1. Hey Handsome, thank you for taking on the hospital sleeping shift so that I can sleep. Thank you for understanding and know which chemo day is which. Thank you for watching war movies with Josh long after Sarah I have reached our limit. Thanks for keeping Josh hydrated. I love you and am so grateful for you. You have met this challenge valiantly and I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We continue to pray for you! Praising God that Josh is doing well with his treatments. Praying you continue to feel God's strength, peace and encouragement. We love you, Sharon for Scott & the boys

    ReplyDelete