Friday, August 12, 2011

Another Disappointment

I woke up at 2:00 am and they were drawing more blood from Josh. This was unusual because they usually wait until 4:00 am. I must have slept through the midnight vitals check, because they told me that his temperature at midnight was 102.6. So they were drawing blood to check for infections.

By 4:00 am when they came back to get more blood, his temp was normal, but now as I sit waiting for the doctors, it is back up to 103.

I didn't sleep much, just thinking about the disappointment of not getting to go home, so I spent much time in prayer. We continue to believe that God has us here for a reason and that He will turn this for His good even though we would prefer to go home.

Ilene reminded me of the verse from Jeremiah in chapter 29 (if you haven't memorize this one, you should) that promises us that God has a good plan for us.

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.

I love quoting this verse because it gives peace and comfort and hope. But when you read the verses before it, there is an instruction from God to trust Him and plan on a long journey. You see the children of Israel had been taken captive to Babylon and they wanted to be rescued and return home, but God told them that they needed to build houses, plant gardens, raise your families and plan to stay for a while.

That is the part that I don't like to hear. I love the part of Gods good plans for us, a future of hope, but we want our prayers answered right now, we want to go home now. But God sometimes says, I have a better plan that takes some waiting.

He goes on to command the children on Israel to work for the peace and prosperity of the city in which they are held captive. And to pray for the welfare of that city because its welfare will determine their welfare. I can easily pray for the welfare of Houston, but I can't imagine being held captive in enemy territory and praying and working for their prosperity.

This morning God is telling us to wait on Him and stay in Houston. I don't know if I will plant a garden, but we will be praying for Houston and looking to see how we can impact the lives of the 8-15 people that God is strategically placing in our relational world. And I know that we will experience His blessing as we shine His light into the lives of the people here in Houston.

Thank you for your prayers. We have heard from many of you, and know that many of you are reading and praying but not commenting which is fine. One of our friends from California called it "lurking". So whether you are a blogger or a lurker, either way, we care most that we are in your prayers and want you to know that we are grateful for you. Thanks to the Field's who were in Houston for a meeting and stopped in to encourage us. We hope that our journey is an encouragement to you.

And we hope also that you will choose to work for the peace and prosperity (spiritual growth) of those that God has put in your life because their prosperity will impact your prosperity.

10 comments:

  1. Your faith is amazing! Keep shining for God! We've been down that long, waiting road not so long ago. I know its tough! God's timing is perfect!

    Love y'all,
    The Swain Gang

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for the disappointment. We will keep praying that you can go home soon. Please tell Josh that we love him and give Ilene a hug from Cassie and I.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was such a pleasure being with you all last night. I was heartbroken to read your blog this morning and know that you won't be going HOME today. I am so sorry. I can tell you all from experience that an unsettling part of this journey is the unpredictability of it all:-( BUT GOD!!! Nothing is catching Him by surprise, and you are doing the best thing by trusting His heart for you and Josh. God's "waiting room" is seldom easy but it is full of the prayers of friends for each of you. May you find peace and comfort for your hearts today. Praying the fever to leave...so YOU can leave:-)

    Blessings,
    Debbie Cone

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian,
    Wayne Cone, Debbie Cone's husband, here. My wife shared with me the time she and Elizabeth spent with your dear family last night, what a sacred time it was. I look forward to meeting you.

    Do know as a dad, who is a pastor, who had a daughter with cancer, I will be praying for you and your family. You are loved.

    CS Lewis said, "When I invited Jesus into my life, I thought He was going to put up some wallpaper and hand a few pictures. But he started knocking our walls and adding on rooms. I said, "I was expecting a nice cottage." But He said, "I'm making a palace in which to live." Embracing Brokenness by Alan Nelson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer! But we know that God's timing is perfect. He is working out His plan in each of you. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. Your faith is such an encouragement. In the midst of it all, we know that our God is a really BIG God, and He is right there with you. Love you guys. Lurking and praying for you from California. Mary Grace

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prayers continue! Thank you for sharing the context of Jer 29:11 - it has such a richer meaning than I had realized.

    Leah G

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear your return has been delayed. We will miss hugging you good-bye but will continue to pray and keep up with your blog. You are such an amazing family that we have been blessed to know. Thank you for making us feel so welcome. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Continuing to pray as you "wait". One of my favorites is "Be still and know I am God". On some days I think the best we can do is to rest in His grace and know that He is God. Praying...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Decided I'd check up on you all myself instead of relying on Franky relaying the daily updates. Praying for you often. By the way if you want a really great hat I could knit one up right quick. (not suren about the really great part).
    Franky's better half ....Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ditto Leah's comment. You have blessed us more than you think with your faith, loveliness and thoughts. Thank you. Praying Josh's fever comes down and that God continues to give you reassurance from His throne. Ai Leen A.

    ReplyDelete