Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My turn by Kristy

Wow! Now I really feel official since I get a turn to post on the Brian/Josh Walton blog. I think it's time for some female perspective! Brian gives facts like a man (of course, because he is!) But for those of you who are wondering, "What's it really like being there in the hospital, how's it feel?" I offer my thoughts. Life is very confined, is my first thought. When I first arrived in Houston, Ilene and I drove past the hospital and to a grocery store and a Quiznos. Since then, I have either been at the hospital or at the Ronald McDonald house. Three city blocks. A hospital room or a hotel-like room. But those are the only places I want to be. Because I'm able to be with Josh, Brian and Ilene have been able to do some of the daily life things that were slammed on hold with the diagnosis of leukemia. Yesterday, they went to the Apple store where Brian got his computer fixed and then they got a battery for their car. Daily things that need to be done but hard to do when you don't want to leave your child alone in a hospital room in a strange city. Meanwhile, I was in the hospital room with Josh, trying to get him to eat and drink. He ate a little bit but not a lot. He is drinking more now but he needs reminders. He talked on his cell phone quite a bit because the internet was unavailable. We played Uno. We talked. We watched Grown Ups and Twilight movies. He is not able to leave the floor because of the risk of infection and did not actually leave his room at all yesterday. Like I said, confining. I heard him tell his friend, "I have not been outside for more than five minutes since I went to the ER in Amarillo." Last night Brian stayed with Josh because he had a busy night getting transfusions after his chemo ended. Ilene, Sarah, and I tried to watch a movie but Ilene and I fell asleep so we just went to bed. The Ronald McDonald house is a nice place to stay, but it's not as comforting as home. This morning, while I slept in, my best friend, who's 17 year old son is battling leukemia--how surreal this all is--jumped out of bed around 5:30, I think. She's not sleeping well with all that's buzzing around in her mind. Because not only does she have her precious son (although he is 17 and maybe wasn't quite as precious before---perspective----) and his treatments and discharge planning on her mind, she has to deal with social workers and insurance companies and agencies to figure how to pay for this all. And also needs to make sure Sarah has enough clothes to go on her Walton family reunion trip. Which, by the way, was a trip the whole family was planning on taking (more details to deal with, change tickets, etc.). No wonder she's pouncing up with the dawn to take on the day. So, I'm here to do what little I can. Which is sit with Josh in the hospital room. And think of the day he came to Brian and Ilene, as a roly-poly baby. And think of the day in the judge's chambers when he legally became theirs, although he had been theirs from the first moment he was placed in their arms. And think of the moments through the years when Ilene and I had only sporadic contact because we were so busy raising babies and toddlers. But more regular interactions with her move to Texas and our children growing up. Oh, Josh just woke up and I need to go walking with him!!!! Maybe more of my thoughts later-------

No comments:

Post a Comment